Hazmat Shipping - Ground Shipping Guide
Ground Transport of Hazardous Materials
A Guide to Safe and Compliant Hazmat Shipping
As hazmat shipping regulations change overtime, it's important to stay informed on regulatory updates, hazmat packaging, required documentation, labels and markings and training available to you as a hazmat shipper. Below, find a guide to the essential factors to keep in mind for safe and successful ground transport of dangerous goods.
- Monitor for Regulation Updates
You do not want to be blindsided by an update to a regulatory requirement and have your shipment refused or fined. It's not always realistic to monitor government websites on a daily basis to keep an eye on these updates. Fortunately, Labelmaster has a long history of expertise in hazmat transportation. We monitor regulations so you can check in with us for the latest regulatory updates and the most recent ground transport publications including Early 49 CFR, Government 49 CFR, MasterRegs 49 CRF, GSI 49 CFR and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Complete Shipping Forms Accurately
Hazmat shipping papers play a crucial role in the transport of dangerous goods. To avoid making errors by completing these forms manually, shipping forms software is available for use. Labelmaster's DGIS Express hazmat shipping software programs streamline the process of filling out Shipper's Declaration of Dangerous Goods, UPS, FedEx, IMO and Multimodal dangerous goods form and more.
You'll also find a complete selection of driver forms and vehicle inspection forms required by 49 CFR.
- Train Hazmat Employees
DOT General Awareness and Function-Specific training is required for each hazmat employee. The more each person involved with hazmat shipping understands about the regulations and the process, the better. A common reason for the rejection of a hazmat shipment is an untrained employee. To ensure every package is assembled accurately, an investment in hazmat shipping training is worthwhile. To learn more, browse our hazmat and hazwaste transport training programs.
- Select the Proper Packaging
Appropriate hazmat packaging is not just a matter of compliance; it's also a matter of safety. Browse our complete selection of UN certified packaging or consult our new battery packaging, Obexion, a complete line of protective packaging solutions engineered specifically for shipping and storing lithium batteries and devices that contain them.
- Be Familiar with Required Hazmat Labels, Placards and Markings
At Labelmaster we offer a wealth of resources to make it simple to select the appropriate hazard class labels, DOT placards and hazmat markings for your hazmat shipments. Labelmaster's Placard Finder and Label Finder as well as a variety of other product lists to help guide you directly to the products appropriate for your application.
In addition, the DOT hazmat placard table and UN Number reference can help you locate your UN Number and DOT proper shipping name. Also see our hazmat labels, placards, and markings infographic.
Hazmat Incidents and Damages by Mode
DOT PHMSA reports hazmat incidents across the United States. The following infographic documents hazmat incidents and total damages as a result of hazmat accidents. Proper packaging, labeling, marking, and placarding are vital to safetly shipping hazmat.
- Navigator Guide
- DG Symposium
- Global DG Confidence Outlook
- COVID Test Kit Shipping Supplies
- Obexion Battery Packaging
- Master Series - Podcasts & Videos
- Regulatory Experts
- Lithium Battery Shipping
- UN Numbers
- 49 CFR Made Easy
- Hazardous Materials Definitions
- How to Use 49 CFR
- DOT Labels, Placards, & Markings
- Hazmat Training Requirements
- 10 Ways to Cut Hazmat Costs
- Air Transport of DG Guide
- Ground Transport of DG Guide
- Maritime Transport of DG Guide
- Most Common Hazardous Materials
- Most Searched for Hazardous Materials
- Hazmat Label Material Types
- Hazmat Label Specifications
- Hazmat Placard Material Types
- Hazmat Placard Specifications
- Hazmat Labeling, Placarding, & Marking
- UN Markings Guide
- Shipping DG in Limited Quantities
- Reverse Logistics
- DG Report
- Compliance Is...
- DG Supply Chain
- Security Seals Guide
- USPS Publication 52
- FedEx Battery Shipping Policy
- UPS Battery Shipping Policy
- Common DG Shipping Violations
- Innovative Solutions
- DG Training FAQ
- Total Value of Compliance
- Finders and Guides
- Don't Let Your Placards Fail
- Extreme Conditions Labels and Placards
- CHEMTREC Labels
- Lithium Battery Resources
- Product Resources