How to Use 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Shipping Regulations
49 CFR Basic Outline
The Code of Federal Regulations follows the same basic outline used for most written material. Headings follow the descending order shown below:
NOTE: Last update June 13, 2013.
|Title:||Title 49 - Transportation|
|Subtitle:||Subtitle B - Other Regulations Relating To Transportation|
|Chapter:||Chapter I: Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Department of Transportation|
|Subchapter:||Subchapter C - Hazardous Materials Regulations|
|Part:||Part 172 - Hazardous materials table, special provisions, hazardous materials communication, emergency response information, training requirements, and security plans|
|Subpart*||Subpart D - Marking|
*Listed under Parts, as needed, in descending order.
Turn to page 1 in 49 CFR, Parts 100-185. Notice the CFR title at the top of the page:
"Title 49 — Transportation"
The Parts contained in this volume are noted in parentheses: (This book contains parts 100 to 185). The subtitle and chapter are also listed:
"Subtitle B - Other Regulations Relating to Transportation"
"Chapter I - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Department of Transportation"
Now locate the Chapter I index:
Chapter I - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, Department of Transportation"
Notice that Subchapter C contains the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
The pyramid diagram below illustrates the HMR format just discussed and the location of the HMR in 49 CFR.
Rules of Construction, § 171.9
Unless specifically stated otherwise:
- singular words include the plural;
- plural words include the singular;
- masculine words include the feminine;
- "must" means required;
- "shall" means required;
- "should" means recommended, but not required;
- "may" means permitted, but not required;
- "includes" means includes, but not limited to; and
- "no person may" means no person is required, authorized or permitted to.
- Obexion Battery Packaging
- CHEMTREC Labels
- Total Value of Compliance
- DG Symposium
- Useful Tools
- Lithium Battery Resources
- Lithium Battery Shipping
- UN Numbers
- Compliance Is...
- Hazardous Materials Definitions
- How to Use 49 CFR
- DOT Labels, Placards, & Markings
- Hazmat Training Requirements
- 10 Ways to Cut Hazmat Costs
- 10 Ways to Help You Ship DG
- Air Transport of DG Guide
- Ground Transport of DG Guide
- Maritime Transport of DG Guide
- Most Common Hazardous Materials
- Most Searched for Hazardous Materials
- Hazmat Label Material Types
- Hazmat Label Specifications
- Hazmat Placard Material Types
- Hazmat Placard Specifications
- UN Markings Guide
- DG Report
- Reverse Logistics
- FedEx Battery Shipping Policy
- UPS Battery Shipping Policy
- Security Seals Guide
- Shipping DG in Limited Quantities
- Common DG Shipping Violations
- DG Supply Chain
- 49 CFR Made Easy
- USPS Publication 52
- DG Training FAQ
- Personalized Products
- Product Resources
- Labelmaster Blog
- DG Outlook Q&A
- Media Library
- Regulatory Experts
- Innovative Solutions