- Labelmaster Extreme Conditions Products Press Release is Getting Noticed
- Labelmaster Releases Hazmat Labels, Placards and Marks for Extreme Conditions
- Ask the Expert: Lithium battery packaging
- USPS Publication 52: What You Need to Know Before Mailing Lithium Batteries
- Products and Resources for Your Oil and Gas Needs
Effective Immediately - New PHMSA Rules for Shipping Lithium Ion Batteries
Extra Labels Required
PHMSA Issued a Ruling to Harmonize the 49 CFR with ICAO Rules -- Read Below for What You Need to Know to Stay Compliant
An extra labeling requirement was announced by PHMSA that aligns DOT 49 CFR with ICAO's rules. These rules mostly impact road and rail shipments of stand alone lithium ion batteries (also mandatory for those contained in/packed with shipments that exceed 11 lbs.).
The bottom line is if your shipments meet these criteria, you will need two labels. One is the new lithium battery marking, and two is either a label that states. "LITHIUM ION BATTERIES -- FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORT ABOARD PASSENGER AIRCRAFT" or a "CARGO AIRCRAFT ONLY" companion label.
Read more information in our Extra Labels for Shipping Lithium Ion Batteries blog post.
Former Box Labeling
New Requirement with Companion Labeling